Good question. I actually get asked this one quite a bit. Its a little hard to answer without knowing exactly what’s stopping you, so I’ll try to give a few general tips that have helped me in the past.
1. STOP WRITING! Don’t try to power through it because you’re not going to get very far, and trust me there is nothing worse than reading a novel that the author was clearly unenthusiastic about. Don’t… PLEASE don’t write if you’re just doing it to get it done. Your audience WILL pick up on it.
2. Reflect: What made you write this novel? What made you initially want to write it? Was it a movie you saw? A book you read? Perhaps a discussion you had with someone? Go back to whatever it was that inspired you to write and rediscover what made you do so in the first place.
3. Go do something else: Not kidding, go listen to music (I’ve posted several playlist options), go read a book, go watch a movie, or go out an experience the world. Get a refresh and then come back.
4. Reread what you already wrote: You’re going to need to do this anyway… multiple times. Go back, read, make corrections, and then try to pick up where you were.
5. Write an alternate path: Try creating a different storyline, say have your characters make different decisions and see where the story goes.
6. Write something else: Have another story in mind? Perhaps this is what’s stopping you from finishing your first one. Well, get it down on paper and then go back to your old one.
Hopefully these will help you get your mind back on track and help you start up again.
I’ll also open it up to my readers and let them offer any suggestions that they may also have. They’re usually pretty good about it.
Do you have a question about writing, publishing, my stories, etc? Please feel free to post a comment or email me.
I’ll use those comments to select my next blog post.
I have been writing for several years, have 4 published works, experience with publishing and independent work, so I can hopefully be of assistance.
Please note, I only do one of these a day and will do my best to respond to everyone, but it may take some time.
Also, feel free to check out my works of Fantasy and Historical Fiction, Available on Amazon and where ever books are sold. See the link below:
Catch you on the flip side!
I’ve currently got a novel in the works but I am currently finding it hard to continue. How do you power through the finishing stories?